What’s a superfood? If you Google it, you’ll find plenty of information to choose from. But, in short, a superfood is a nutrient-dense food that helps our bodies function optimally. This salad pulls some frequently mentioned superfoods together: kale, blueberries, butternut squash, (dried) cranberries, quinoa, walnuts, lemon, olive oil and garlic.
Fresh blueberries and dried cranberries with bitter kale is a great contrast. The mix of texture (crunchy walnuts, chewy cranberries and quinoa, soft butternut squash) makes for a satisfying heartiness. A client brought me this recipe and it is just too good not to share!
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (1 cup dry)
- 2 bags baby kale
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash cubes (cooked)
- 3 Tbsp dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp toasted walnut pieces
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- In a high speed blender, blend lemon juice, olive oil and garlic together and set aside.
- Tip: buy buttersquash already cubed, then roast (with olive oil, salt and pepper until caramelized)
- Cook quinoa according to package and add kale while quinoa still hot and mix.
- Add dressing and mix. Stir in all other ingredients to mixture above and serve. Super Delish!
Makes about 12 servings
Per serving: 80 calories, 11g fat, 10g carbs, 2.4g protein, 1g fiber, 2.8g sugar